Sunday, October 5, 2008

Colour Me Happy

I got the cover mock up for Fifty Grand over the weekend. I absolutely love it. I've had good covers and bad covers in the past and this, to me, is up there with my favourite, the hardback of Dead I Well May Be. They're both mood covers, not giving away any plot but giving you an idea of the tone of the book. You need a cover that will work on Amazon and something that will make a good 'face out' * in Barnes and Noble or Borders or the local mystery bookshop.
...
I did have an initial concept that I wanted the book to have a Cuban feel to it but the more I thought about those ideas they looked too much like the cover of Lonely Planet Havana or something. So instead the designer went with the notion of ice and wasteland, which plays a major part of the geography and mood in the latter part of the story. I also like the fact that the cover appears to be in Futura Sans Serif, Stanley Kubrick's favourite font.
...
Tuesday update: I forgot to mention the artist's name. He is called Nick Caruso. Thank you Nick. The consensus around here is: great job!
...
*A face out is when you have the book's cover pointing outwards on the shelf - not the spine. When I worked at B&N we only faced out bestsellers and covers we particularly liked, esp Chip Kidd.