Following on from my books post last week, below I've listed my favourite films of the decade. I don't think it was a particularly good era for the movies. The Coens were off the boil, we no longer had Stanley Kubrick, some idiot reinvented torture porn and mindless blockbusters continued to dominate. Outside of Hollywood I think English and French art house films generally got overpraised out of sheer desperation (the Times puts the feeble Cache as their #1 film of the decade) and the explosion of Korean horror films didn't do much for me. Still, for what it's worth, these are my favourite films (not necessarily the best) of the noughties.
1. Mulholland Drive (2001) David Lynch
2. The Barbarian Invasions (2003) Denys Arcand
3. Grizzly Man (2005) Werner Herzog
4. In The Mood For Love (2000) Wong Kar Wai
5. Ghost Dog (2000) Jim Jarmusch
6. Shaun of the Dead (2004) Edgar Wright
7. Bloody Sunday (2002) Paul Greengrass.
8. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) Guillermo del Toro
9. The Squid And The Whale (2005) Noah Baumbach
10. 24 Hour Party People (2002) Michael Winterbottom