Friday, February 11, 2011

Are You Giving Me The High Hat? The Coen Brothers Rated

I've done this before on the blog with Alfred Hitchcock and Woody Allen and a couple of other film-makers who are or were (in the case of Allen) important to me. I've been a fan of the Coen Brothers since high school when I caught Blood Simple at the Queens Film Theatre in Belfast, and I've seen every one since; here therefore is my attempt at a rating of their filmography in the standard A,B,C,D,E,F format. A is a classic. B is very good. C is good. D and E are sometimes watchable. F is basically unwatchable. And remember this is just, like, my opinion, man...


1984 Blood Simple B  
1987 Raising Arizona A
1990 Miller's Crossing
1991 Barton Fink  A
1994 The Hudsucker Proxy E
1996 Fargo A
1998 The Big Lebowski A
2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou? E
2001 The Man Who Wasn't There  F
2003 Intolerable Cruelty  F
2004 The Ladykillers  F
2007 No Country for Old Men B
2008 Burn After Reading  D
2009 A Serious Man C
2010 True Grit B

Is there a pattern here? Yeah I think so. If you were to draw a Venn diagram with John Turturro, Steve Buscemi and John Goodman as the sets then the intersection of these sets usually represents the higher rated films.