Friday, May 29, 2015

The Coen Brothers Rated

Details of the new Coen Brothers film have emerged on the IMDB. Its going to be about a movie fixer in the 1950's attempting to right the ship of a troubled Julius Caesar film. It stars George Clooney and Scarlett Johannsen, who it must be said, have not brought the best work out of the Coens in the past. 
...
I've been a somewhat obsessive fan of the Coen Brothers since high school when I caught Blood Simple at the Queens Film Theatre in Belfast, and I've seen every one since. Here is my attempt at a rating of their filmography in the standard A,B,C,D,F format. A is a classic. B is very good. C is good. D is sometimes watchable. F is basically unwatchable. And remember, as the Dude says, this is just, like, my opinion, man...


1984 Blood Simple A  
1987 Raising Arizona A
1990 Miller's Crossing 
1991 Barton Fink  A
1994 The Hudsucker Proxy F
1996 Fargo A
1998 The Big Lebowski A
2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou? D
2001 The Man Who Wasn't There  F
2003 Intolerable Cruelty  F
2004 The Ladykillers  F
2007 No Country for Old Men B
2008 Burn After Reading  D
2009 A Serious Man C
2010 True Grit B
2013 Inside Llewyn Davis A
2016 Hail Caesar

Is there a pattern here? Yeah I think so. If you were to draw a Venn diagram with John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Jeff Bridges and John Goodman as the sets then the intersection of these sets usually represents the higher rated films. The Clooney films maybe not so much...Incidentally when I last posted this list I gave Inside Llewyn Davis a B. I wasn't completely convinced by Llewyn's character - he seems like a Jewish guy from Brooklyn so what's with all the Welsh stuff? I've now watched it a couple of times since and I've decided to forget all that - the movie, for me, is an A. 
...
A final parting point: if a film maker has a lot of A's and F's - those are the people who take chances and the ones you should go see.