Monday, April 25, 2016

Hail Caesar

I'm sorry but for me George Clooney and the Coen brothers are a match made in movie hell. I feel they clearly bring out the worst in each other. I hated Hail Caesar the latest offering from the Coens. I thought it was tiresome, annoying and unfunny. All the best bits (all 60 seconds of them) were in the trailer. Leaden jokes, storylines that went nowhere, Christ this was a self indulgent mess. To say, as some critics have, that it is a companion piece to Barton Fink is a mistake. Obviously its set in the same studio as Barton Fink but the former is a gothic masterpiece & Hail Caesar ain't even a slapstick masterpiece.

I’ve been a somewhat obsessive fan of the Coen Brothers since high school when I caught Blood Simple at the Queens Film Theatre in Belfast, and I’ve seen every one since. This is my attempt at a rating of their filmography in the standard A,B,C,D, F format. I've blogged this before and its been updated to include Hail Caesar. A is a classic. B is very good. C is good. D is sometimes watchable. F is basically unwatchable. And remember, as the Dude says, this is just, like, my opinion, man…

1984 Blood Simple B
1987 Raising Arizona A
1990 Miller’s Crossing A
1991 Barton Fink  A
1994 The Hudsucker Proxy D
1996 Fargo A
1998 The Big Lebowski A
2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou? D
2001 The Man Who Wasn’t There  F
2003 Intolerable Cruelty  F
2004 The Ladykillers  F
2007 No Country for Old Men B
2008 Burn After Reading  F
2009 A Serious Man C
2010 True Grit B
2013 Inside Llewyn Davis A
2016 Hail Caesar F

Is there a pattern here? Yeah I think so. If you were to draw a Venn diagram with John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Jeff Bridges and John Goodman as the sets then the intersection of these sets usually represents the higher rated films. The Clooney films are all pretty much terrible. I'd rate them all F if the soundtrack on O Brother wasn't a peach...