Friday, April 29, 2011

Baron Carrickfergus?

Baron Carrickfergus in his Irish Guards uniform
So I'm watching the Royal Wedding on the BBC and they announce that Prince William's official titles will be the Duke of Cambridge and Baron Carrickfergus (impressively someone has written the entire wikipedia page about this in the last twenty minutes). This is pretty surprising to me. I was born and grew up in Carrickfergus and I had no idea that there was a vacant Baron Carrickfergus title lying around, apparently in the gift of the Queen. The Barony has been in abeyance since the nineteenth century and how and why the Queen resurrected such an obscure title is a bit of a mystery. Her Maj though has really gone and scuppered my plans...What am I going to call myself now when I get ennobled for my services to blogging?
...
And thank you again Big Pond for slowing down my internet service as punishment for exceeding my bandwith. These two paragraphs have taken the entire wedding to save and I've missed spotting a lot of eccentric hats as a result.
...
Talk to you all again in five days...