Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On The Road

Movies evidently take a long time to get made. In 1995 I went to the open casting for American Zoetrope's version of Jack Kerouac's On The Road and did not get a part. Finally 17 years later I find out who did. At the open casting I attended we were told it was going to be Johnny Depp as Sal Paradise. He's played three writers since then: William Blake, JM Barrie and Hunter Thompson (twice) but not Kerouac. 
...
My own Kerouacian connections aren't deep but they do exist. When I used to live in Newburyport Mass I'd occasionally drive out to Lowell to join the motely collection of drifters, pseuds and lunatics at Kerouacs grave. When I lived in Denver, we'd often go to the bar of the Colburn where Ginsburg, Kerouac and Burroughs used to hang. And of course I went to see the scroll when it came to the Denver Public Library. The DPL also used to do a Beatnik tour of Denver which was pretty good but I don't know if that still runs now or not. Anyway here's the trailer: