Sunday, July 21, 2013

In The Morning I'll Be Gone

locked and bolted from the inside...
I'm just finishing up the third Sean Duffy novel called In The Morning I'll Be Gone which, of course, is another homage/rip off of a Tom Waits title...You can listen to the marvellous In The Morning I'll Be Gone, here. (It's the one with the fantastic "I have a French companion" line which I think is the greatest line in the history of popular music.) 
...
The bulk of my In The Morning I'll Be Gone is going to be taken up with a locked room mystery. I've never written a locked room mystery before but I've read several over the years and designing one has been an extremely enjoyable intellectual exercise. And rest assured that I'm not the kind of bastard who will cheat you with a supernatural solution or who won't give you enough information to solve the puzzle for yourselves. I certainly won't insult your intelligence and lie to you (the unforgivable sin of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo's locked room portion.)
...
You can read the first 6 chapters of In The Morning I'll Be Gone, here and if my publishers allow it I'll try and get the first 100 pages or so up on this blog in the next couple of months. The first 6 chapters don't quite get you into the locked room problem, they merely show you Duffy in the shit and starting to climb out again but like I say I'll try to add to the story in the next few months. You can get the first two volumes of the, ahem, award winning, Duffy series on Amazon, Audible, Book Depository or at all reputable book shops. This may be the last (Duffy) book I ever write so hopefully you'll enjoy this swansong if it is the swansong...