Friday, December 20, 2013

End Of The Year Quiz

probably helped that I was wearing
my lucky Dr Who t shirt
I took part in the ABC Radio National end of the year quiz here in Melbourne this morning. There were four of us there representing four of the arts: cinema, performing arts, visual arts and books. I, of course, was waving the flag for books. It was a fun quiz being broadcast across all of Australia and although my knowledge of Australian culture isn't perhaps up to the standard of the other competitors I did my best.  
...
Joseph Campbell would have appreciated it because in many ways it was the classic hero's journey. By the fifteen minute mark, 1/4 of the way through the show, I was on zero points and languishing in last place. My fart gun buzzer (you had to be there) had barely sounded at all but then they started asking questions about Superman and if there's one thing I know about it's Superman, and after that, well things just started to fall into place. . .
...
If you wanna know how it turned out you can listen to the programme over at the books and arts website. You'll need Real Player or Windows Media Player but they'll probably also have a podcast of the show too at some point. 

13 comments:

Jack said...

does the shirt go down to capaldi and is baker on there twice?

adrian mckinty said...

Jack

Yes and yes.

No Hurt though or Cushing as one isn't an official Dr and the other is non canonical.

seana graham said...

Yes, if I'd known there was a Superman category, I would definitely have bet on you. I hope to have time to listen to it later.

adrian mckinty said...

Seana

Probably would have done well on a Batman category too.

Alan said...

Adrian,Well done as it appeared you were perhaps the only non-native Australian.Glad you were not around at the time of the "Thirty Years War" as someone might have taken ubrage at calling "The 95 Thesis" stuff. It appeared that you and the other guests had fun.Best Alan

adrian mckinty said...

Alan

Yeah the only thing I remember from The Thirty Years war is the "Defenestration of Prague" which is such a bizarre incident that even someone with a dodgy memory like mine would find it hard to forget.

And yes it did sound like fun didn't it? Because it was a very relaxed fun atmosphere. I hope it becomes an annual tradition.

seana graham said...

That was super fun to listen to, although I did suspect that you had in fact made up the second half of the questions yourself.

And it was good to know from Tripod that all the bad times are over forever. Somehow, they sounded rather convincing.

adrian mckinty said...

Seana

Yeah that was a nice run of luck for me when they did the Superman questions and David Peace. I missed out on that Archibald Prize question though. I actually knew that one but I couldnt get it to the front of my mind.

seana graham said...

I actually could have done alright on that quiz just from reading your blog. Not won it though, unless I got all those spontaneous audience applause points.

adrian mckinty said...

Seana

Yup good point. I have been somewhat on the cutting edge of books and a little bit on film. Must do better next year with visual arts and plays and music.

Brendan O'Leary said...

Adrian, I enjoyed your quiz but began to suspect a fix when they started with the Red or Dead excerpt and all the Superman questions.

I shouldn't be too harsh. Tonight on University Challenge Christmas Special the teams, (ex-Aberystwyth and Keele unis) including MPs, professors, former Chief Constable and a head of Mensa, thought the Boxing Day Test might be at The Oval and had never heard of a song or sporting anthem where a Michael was sent to Botany Bay for stealing Trevelyan's corn.

Later on, on QI, Stephen Fry pronounced whisky measure gill like fish's gill. This is a man who has been rector of Dundee University.

In more useless information that will never win a quiz, the standard spirit measure in Aberdeen is miserly 1/6th of a gill, but a 1/5th elsewhere in Scotland and 1/4 in England.

adrian mckinty said...

Brendan

Thats ridiculous. Both my kids can sing the Fields of Athenry and I've been to the Boxing Day test.

I admit I didnt know the drinks measure one.

Brendan O'Leary said...

Not to mention Boxing Day is middle of winter at The Oval!

Anyway I have a couple of gills in a tumbler and the Gaelic channel is playing that weird Free Kirk psalm singing. The real roots of gospel music, some say ...

Good health, slàinte and all that. May the years ahead be good ones.