Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The American Library Association's Top 10 Crime Novels Of The Year

Every year Booklist, the publication of the American Library Association, picks its list of the top 10 crime novels of the previous 12 months, and this year sneaking in at #3 is Sean Duffy #3, In The Morning I'll Be Gone. (Thank you American Library Association and Bill Ott, the wise and well read writer for Booklist.) 

To make the ALA Top 10 list is pretty amazing for a book that only got 1 newspaper review in the United States, no book tour, no book launch, no newspaper advertising, just good old word of mouth...but that word of mouth has been pretty darn good. 7th Street Books, my imprint, punches well above its weight, as do I, although to be honest I'd rather not get into a conversation about weight issues at the moment and I don't know why I brought it up. Its been harder to shift that Christmas weight this year and my knee is playing up so exercise has been difficult. And as for the weather..hold on what was I talking about? Oh yes, the ALA. According to Wikipedia (thank you again Anonymous Wikipedia Elves) these are the award noms so far for the Sean Duffy series: 
  • The Cold Cold Ground won the 2013 Spinetingler Award for best crime novel[18] and was shortlisted for The 2013 Prix Du Meilleur Polar[19] and Crime Fest's 2013 Last Laugh Award for best satiric crime novel.[20]
  • I Hear The Sirens In The Street was shortlisted for best crime novel at the 2013 Ned Kelly Awards[21] and was shortlisted for the 2014 Barry Award in the Best Mystery (paperback original) category.[22]
  • The American Library Association selected In The Morning I'll Be Gone as one of the 10 best crime novels of 2014.[23]
I Hear The Sirens In The Street has also just been longlisted for the Theakston Best British Crime Novel Award, but I'll need another blogpost to talk about that one because it involves you, gentle reader...

Anyway you can get Duffy #3 here, or here